How to Improve Iron Deficiency Anemia?
What is anemia? Is it due to iron deficiency?
When the number of red blood cells or concentrations of hemoglobin are low a person is said to have anemia. Anemia is a condition in which your blood has a lower than normal number of red blood cells. It occurs because the red blood cells do not contain enough hemoglobin, Hemoglobin is an iron-rich protein that gives blood its red color. This protein helps red blood cells carry oxygen from the lungs to the rest of the body.
What are the causes of anemia?
- Your body doesn’t make enough red blood cells
- Bleeding causes you to lose red blood cells more quickly than they can be replaced
- Your body destroys red blood cells
Many types of anemia can be mild, short term, and easily treated. You can even prevent some types with a healthy diet. Other types can be treated with dietary supplements.
Drink beetroot juice to improve iron deficiency anemia
Beet Juice is known as a powerful cleanser and builder of the blood. It is an excellent source of vitamin B-6; the minerals choline, iron, organic sodium, and potassium; and natural sugars, while the actual content of iron in beet roots is not as high as in some other foods, it is high-quality iron that is easily and efficiently absorbed by the body. Hence, beetroot juice is possibly the best natural remedy for anemia.
Beet Juice Recipes
Beetroot should only be used in its raw state. That is because the powerful betalain it contains is reduced during cooking, and oxalic acid crystals are released forming calcium stones when heated.
12oz Carrots Juice
4oz Beetroot Juice (use one small beetroot. The are sweeter)
Add other vegetables or fruits according to the recipe you choose
Using cold water wash and brush the vegetables with a stiff vegetable brush.
Remove the carrot tops
Remove skin on waxed vegetables such as cucumber
Leave on beetroot tops
Dice vegetables to fit into your juicer or blender
Juice or blend, chill and serve
Depending on what texture you want, you can either juice or blend the ingredients. In blending you will use all of the vegetables, nothing is thrown away and the drink will have a smoothie type texture.
1. Beet, Carrot & Apple
2. Beet, Carrot and Coconut Juice
4oz coconut flesh
3. Beetroot, Carrot & Cucumber Juice
3oz Cucumber (remove skin if waxed)
4. Beet, Carrot & Pineapple Juice
5oz Fresh diced Pineapple
5. Beet, Carrot & Spinach Juice
4oz Baby Spinach Leaves
This juice is an excellent cleanser and has a high content of iron)
- Eat foods rich in vitamin C at the same time that you eat whole grains, spinach, and legumes. This will increase absorption of the iron in these foods.
- If you drink coffee or tea, do so between meals rather than with meals; caffeine in these beverages reduces iron absorption.